2 Chronicles 21:11-13
New English Translation
12 Jehoram[c] received this letter from Elijah the prophet: “This is what the Lord God of your ancestor David says: ‘You[d] have not followed in the footsteps[e] of your father Jehoshaphat and of[f] King Asa of Judah, 13 but have instead followed in the footsteps of the kings of Israel. You encouraged the people of Judah and the residents of Jerusalem to be unfaithful to the Lord, just as the family of Ahab does in Israel.[g] You also killed your brothers, members of your father’s family,[h] who were better than you.Read full chapter
- 2 Chronicles 21:11 tn Heb “and he caused the residents of Jerusalem to commit adultery.” In this context spiritual unfaithfulness to the Lord is in view rather than physical adultery.
- 2 Chronicles 21:11 tn Heb “and drove Judah away.”
- 2 Chronicles 21:12 tn Heb “he”; the referent (Jehoram) has been specified in the translation for clarity and for stylistic reasons.
- 2 Chronicles 21:12 tn Heb “Because you…” In the Hebrew text this lengthy sentence is completed in vv. 14-15. Because of its length and complexity (and the tendency of contemporary English to use shorter sentences), the translation has divided it up into several English sentences.
- 2 Chronicles 21:12 tn Heb “walked in the ways.”
- 2 Chronicles 21:12 tn Heb “in the ways of.”
- 2 Chronicles 21:13 tn Heb “and you walked in the way of the kings of Israel and caused Judah and the residents of Jerusalem to commit adultery, like the house of Ahab causes to commit adultery.”
- 2 Chronicles 21:13 tn Heb “the house of your father.”