1 Chronicles 1-2
New International Version
Historical Records From Adam to Abraham
To Noah’s Sons
5 The sons[b] of Japheth:
Gomer, Magog, Madai, Javan, Tubal, Meshek and Tiras.
6 The sons of Gomer:
Ashkenaz, Riphath[c] and Togarmah.
7 The sons of Javan:
Elishah, Tarshish, the Kittites and the Rodanites.
8 The sons of Ham:
Cush, Egypt, Put and Canaan.
9 The sons of Cush:
Seba, Havilah, Sabta, Raamah and Sabteka.
The sons of Raamah:
Sheba and Dedan.
10 Cush was the father[d] of
Nimrod, who became a mighty warrior on earth.
11 Egypt was the father of
the Ludites, Anamites, Lehabites, Naphtuhites, 12 Pathrusites, Kasluhites (from whom the Philistines came) and Caphtorites.
13 Canaan was the father of
Sidon his firstborn,[e] and of the Hittites, 14 Jebusites, Amorites, Girgashites, 15 Hivites, Arkites, Sinites, 16 Arvadites, Zemarites and Hamathites.
17 The sons of Shem:
Elam, Ashur, Arphaxad, Lud and Aram.
The sons of Aram:[f]
Uz, Hul, Gether and Meshek.
18 Arphaxad was the father of Shelah,
and Shelah the father of Eber.
19 Two sons were born to Eber:
One was named Peleg,[g] because in his time the earth was divided; his brother was named Joktan.
20 Joktan was the father of
Almodad, Sheleph, Hazarmaveth, Jerah, 21 Hadoram, Uzal, Diklah, 22 Obal,[h] Abimael, Sheba, 23 Ophir, Havilah and Jobab. All these were sons of Joktan.
25 Eber, Peleg, Reu,
26 Serug, Nahor, Terah
27 and Abram (that is, Abraham).
The Family of Abraham
28 The sons of Abraham:
Isaac and Ishmael.
Descendants of Hagar(O)
29 These were their descendants:
Nebaioth the firstborn of Ishmael, Kedar, Adbeel, Mibsam, 30 Mishma, Dumah, Massa, Hadad, Tema, 31 Jetur, Naphish and Kedemah. These were the sons of Ishmael.
Descendants of Keturah(P)
32 The sons born to Keturah, Abraham’s concubine:(Q)
Zimran, Jokshan, Medan, Midian, Ishbak and Shuah.
The sons of Jokshan:
Sheba and Dedan.(R)
33 The sons of Midian:
Ephah, Epher, Hanok, Abida and Eldaah.
All these were descendants of Keturah.
Descendants of Sarah(S)
35 The sons of Esau:(W)
Eliphaz, Reuel,(X) Jeush, Jalam and Korah.
36 The sons of Eliphaz:
Teman, Omar, Zepho,[j] Gatam and Kenaz;
37 The sons of Reuel:(Z)
Nahath, Zerah, Shammah and Mizzah.
The People of Seir in Edom(AA)
38 The sons of Seir:
Lotan, Shobal, Zibeon, Anah, Dishon, Ezer and Dishan.
39 The sons of Lotan:
Hori and Homam. Timna was Lotan’s sister.
40 The sons of Shobal:
Alvan,[l] Manahath, Ebal, Shepho and Onam.
The sons of Zibeon:
Aiah and Anah.(AB)
41 The son of Anah:
The sons of Dishon:
Hemdan,[m] Eshban, Ithran and Keran.
42 The sons of Ezer:
Bilhan, Zaavan and Akan.[n]
The sons of Dishan[o]:
Uz and Aran.
The Rulers of Edom(AC)
43 These were the kings who reigned in Edom before any Israelite king reigned:
Bela son of Beor, whose city was named Dinhabah.
44 When Bela died, Jobab son of Zerah from Bozrah succeeded him as king.
45 When Jobab died, Husham from the land of the Temanites(AD) succeeded him as king.
46 When Husham died, Hadad son of Bedad, who defeated Midian in the country of Moab, succeeded him as king. His city was named Avith.
47 When Hadad died, Samlah from Masrekah succeeded him as king.
48 When Samlah died, Shaul from Rehoboth on the river[p] succeeded him as king.
49 When Shaul died, Baal-Hanan son of Akbor succeeded him as king.
50 When Baal-Hanan died, Hadad succeeded him as king. His city was named Pau,[q] and his wife’s name was Mehetabel daughter of Matred, the daughter of Me-Zahab. 51 Hadad also died.
The chiefs of Edom were:
Timna, Alvah, Jetheth, 52 Oholibamah, Elah, Pinon, 53 Kenaz, Teman, Mibzar, 54 Magdiel and Iram. These were the chiefs of Edom.
2 These were the sons of Israel:
Reuben, Simeon, Levi, Judah, Issachar, Zebulun, 2 Dan, Joseph, Benjamin, Naphtali, Gad and Asher.
To Hezron’s Sons
3 The sons of Judah:(AG)
Er, Onan and Shelah.(AH) These three were born to him by a Canaanite woman, the daughter of Shua.(AI) Er, Judah’s firstborn, was wicked in the Lord’s sight; so the Lord put him to death.(AJ) 4 Judah’s daughter-in-law(AK) Tamar(AL) bore Perez(AM) and Zerah to Judah. He had five sons in all.
5 The sons of Perez:(AN)
Hezron(AO) and Hamul.
6 The sons of Zerah:
Zimri, Ethan, Heman, Kalkol and Darda[r]—five in all.
7 The son of Karmi:
8 The son of Ethan:
9 The sons born to Hezron(AR) were:
Jerahmeel, Ram and Caleb.[u]
From Ram Son of Hezron
10 Ram(AS) was the father of
Amminadab(AT), and Amminadab the father of Nahshon,(AU) the leader of the people of Judah. 11 Nahshon was the father of Salmon,[v] Salmon the father of Boaz, 12 Boaz(AV) the father of Obed and Obed the father of Jesse.(AW)
13 Jesse(AX) was the father of
Eliab(AY) his firstborn; the second son was Abinadab, the third Shimea, 14 the fourth Nethanel, the fifth Raddai, 15 the sixth Ozem and the seventh David. 16 Their sisters were Zeruiah(AZ) and Abigail. Zeruiah’s(BA) three sons were Abishai, Joab(BB) and Asahel. 17 Abigail was the mother of Amasa,(BC) whose father was Jether the Ishmaelite.
Caleb Son of Hezron
18 Caleb son of Hezron had children by his wife Azubah (and by Jerioth). These were her sons: Jesher, Shobab and Ardon. 19 When Azubah died, Caleb(BD) married Ephrath, who bore him Hur. 20 Hur was the father of Uri, and Uri the father of Bezalel.(BE)
21 Later, Hezron, when he was sixty years old, married the daughter of Makir the father of Gilead.(BF) He made love to her, and she bore him Segub. 22 Segub was the father of Jair, who controlled twenty-three towns in Gilead. 23 (But Geshur and Aram captured Havvoth Jair,[w](BG) as well as Kenath(BH) with its surrounding settlements—sixty towns.) All these were descendants of Makir the father of Gilead.
Jerahmeel Son of Hezron
25 The sons of Jerahmeel the firstborn of Hezron:
Ram his firstborn, Bunah, Oren, Ozem and[y] Ahijah. 26 Jerahmeel had another wife, whose name was Atarah; she was the mother of Onam.
27 The sons of Ram the firstborn of Jerahmeel:
Maaz, Jamin and Eker.
28 The sons of Onam:
Shammai and Jada.
The sons of Shammai:
Nadab and Abishur.
29 Abishur’s wife was named Abihail, who bore him Ahban and Molid.
30 The sons of Nadab:
Seled and Appaim. Seled died without children.
31 The son of Appaim:
Ishi, who was the father of Sheshan.
Sheshan was the father of Ahlai.
32 The sons of Jada, Shammai’s brother:
Jether and Jonathan. Jether died without children.
33 The sons of Jonathan:
Peleth and Zaza.
These were the descendants of Jerahmeel.
34 Sheshan had no sons—only daughters.
He had an Egyptian servant named Jarha. 35 Sheshan gave his daughter in marriage to his servant Jarha, and she bore him Attai.
36 Attai was the father of Nathan,
Nathan the father of Zabad,(BJ)
37 Zabad the father of Ephlal,
Ephlal the father of Obed,
38 Obed the father of Jehu,
Jehu the father of Azariah,
39 Azariah the father of Helez,
Helez the father of Eleasah,
40 Eleasah the father of Sismai,
Sismai the father of Shallum,
41 Shallum the father of Jekamiah,
and Jekamiah the father of Elishama.
The Clans of Caleb
42 The sons of Caleb(BK) the brother of Jerahmeel:
Mesha his firstborn, who was the father of Ziph, and his son Mareshah,[z] who was the father of Hebron.
43 The sons of Hebron:
Korah, Tappuah, Rekem and Shema. 44 Shema was the father of Raham, and Raham the father of Jorkeam. Rekem was the father of Shammai. 45 The son of Shammai was Maon(BL), and Maon was the father of Beth Zur.(BM)
46 Caleb’s concubine Ephah was the mother of Haran, Moza and Gazez. Haran was the father of Gazez.
47 The sons of Jahdai:
Regem, Jotham, Geshan, Pelet, Ephah and Shaaph.
48 Caleb’s concubine Maakah was the mother of Sheber and Tirhanah. 49 She also gave birth to Shaaph the father of Madmannah(BN) and to Sheva the father of Makbenah and Gibea. Caleb’s daughter was Aksah.(BO) 50 These were the descendants of Caleb.
The sons of Hur(BP) the firstborn of Ephrathah:
Shobal the father of Kiriath Jearim,(BQ) 51 Salma the father of Bethlehem, and Hareph the father of Beth Gader.
52 The descendants of Shobal the father of Kiriath Jearim were:
Haroeh, half the Manahathites, 53 and the clans of Kiriath Jearim: the Ithrites,(BR) Puthites, Shumathites and Mishraites. From these descended the Zorathites and Eshtaolites.
54 The descendants of Salma:
Bethlehem, the Netophathites,(BS) Atroth Beth Joab, half the Manahathites, the Zorites, 55 and the clans of scribes[aa] who lived at Jabez: the Tirathites, Shimeathites and Sucathites. These are the Kenites(BT) who came from Hammath,(BU) the father of the Rekabites.[ab](BV)
- 1 Chronicles 1:4 Septuagint; Hebrew does not have this line.
- 1 Chronicles 1:5 Sons may mean descendants or successors or nations; also in verses 6-9, 17 and 23.
- 1 Chronicles 1:6 Many Hebrew manuscripts and Vulgate (see also Septuagint and Gen. 10:3); most Hebrew manuscripts Diphath
- 1 Chronicles 1:10 Father may mean ancestor or predecessor or founder; also in verses 11, 13, 18 and 20.
- 1 Chronicles 1:13 Or of the Sidonians, the foremost
- 1 Chronicles 1:17 One Hebrew manuscript and some Septuagint manuscripts (see also Gen. 10:23); most Hebrew manuscripts do not have this line.
- 1 Chronicles 1:19 Peleg means division.
- 1 Chronicles 1:22 Some Hebrew manuscripts and Syriac (see also Gen. 10:28); most Hebrew manuscripts Ebal
- 1 Chronicles 1:24 Hebrew; some Septuagint manuscripts Arphaxad, Cainan (see also note at Gen. 11:10)
- 1 Chronicles 1:36 Many Hebrew manuscripts, some Septuagint manuscripts and Syriac (see also Gen. 36:11); most Hebrew manuscripts Zephi
- 1 Chronicles 1:36 Some Septuagint manuscripts (see also Gen. 36:12); Hebrew Gatam, Kenaz, Timna and Amalek
- 1 Chronicles 1:40 Many Hebrew manuscripts and some Septuagint manuscripts (see also Gen. 36:23); most Hebrew manuscripts Alian
- 1 Chronicles 1:41 Many Hebrew manuscripts and some Septuagint manuscripts (see also Gen. 36:26); most Hebrew manuscripts Hamran
- 1 Chronicles 1:42 Many Hebrew and Septuagint manuscripts (see also Gen. 36:27); most Hebrew manuscripts Zaavan, Jaakan
- 1 Chronicles 1:42 See Gen. 36:28; Hebrew Dishon, a variant of Dishan
- 1 Chronicles 1:48 Possibly the Euphrates
- 1 Chronicles 1:50 Many Hebrew manuscripts, some Septuagint manuscripts, Vulgate and Syriac (see also Gen. 36:39); most Hebrew manuscripts Pai
- 1 Chronicles 2:6 Many Hebrew manuscripts, some Septuagint manuscripts and Syriac (see also 1 Kings 4:31); most Hebrew manuscripts Dara
- 1 Chronicles 2:7 Achar means trouble; Achar is called Achan in Joshua.
- 1 Chronicles 2:7 The Hebrew term refers to the irrevocable giving over of things or persons to the Lord, often by totally destroying them.
- 1 Chronicles 2:9 Hebrew Kelubai, a variant of Caleb
- 1 Chronicles 2:11 Septuagint (see also Ruth 4:21); Hebrew Salma
- 1 Chronicles 2:23 Or captured the settlements of Jair
- 1 Chronicles 2:24 Father may mean civic leader or military leader; also in verses 42, 45, 49-52 and possibly elsewhere.
- 1 Chronicles 2:25 Or Oren and Ozem, by
- 1 Chronicles 2:42 The meaning of the Hebrew for this phrase is uncertain.
- 1 Chronicles 2:55 Or of the Sopherites
- 1 Chronicles 2:55 Or father of Beth Rekab