1 Thessalonians 5
Disciples’ Literal New Testament
But You Know The Day of The Lord Will Come Like a Thief In The Night. Keep Watching
5 But concerning the times and the seasons, brothers, you have no need that anything should be written to you. 2 For you yourselves accurately know that the day of the Lord comes in this manner— like a thief in the night. 3 When they are saying “peace and security”, then unexpected[a] destruction suddenly-comes-upon[b] them, just as the birth-pain on the one having a child in the womb. And they will by no means escape. 4 But you, brothers, are not in darkness, so that the day should overtake you like a thief. 5 For you all are sons of [c] light and sons of day. We are not of night, nor of darkness. 6 So then, let us not be sleeping like the others, but let us be keeping-watch[d] and being sober. 7 For the ones sleeping are sleeping at night. And the ones getting-drunk are-drunk at night. 8 But let us, being of the day, be sober, having put on a breastplate of faith and love, and a helmet: the hope of salvation. 9 Because God did not appoint[e] us for wrath, but for the obtaining[f] of salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ— 10 the One having died for us in order that whether we are keeping-watch or sleeping[g], we may live together with Him. 11 Therefore be encouraging one another and building-up one the other, just as you are also doing.
Esteem Your Leaders in Love
12 And we ask you, brothers, to know[h] the ones laboring among you and leading you in the Lord and admonishing you, 13 and to be esteeming them super-abundantly[i] in love because of their work. Be living-in-peace among yourselves.
14 Now we exhort you, brothers— be admonishing the disorderly ones, be encouraging[j] the fainthearted ones, be holding-on-to[k] the weak ones, be patient with everyone. 15 See that no one gives-back evil for evil to anyone, but always be pursuing the good, both for one another and for everyone. 16 Be rejoicing always, 17 be praying unceasingly, 18 be giving-thanks in everything. For this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. 19 Do not be quenching[l] the Spirit, 20 do not be treating prophecies with contempt, 21 but be testing all things. Be holding-on-to the good[m], 22 be abstaining from every form[n] of evil.
23 Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify[o] you wholly[p]. And may your whole[q] spirit and soul and body be preserved[r] blamelessly at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24 Faithful is the One calling you, Who also will do it. 25 Brothers, be praying also for us. 26 Greet all the brothers with a holy kiss. 27 I adjure[s] you by the Lord that this letter be read to all the brothers. 28 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:3 Or, sudden, unforeseen.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:3 Or, springs-upon.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:5 That is, belonging to.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:6 Or, staying awake, keeping alert.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:9 Or, make, destine.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:9 Or, possession.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:10 That is, physically alive (living, remaining at the end, and thus watching) or dead. Or, prepared (keeping watch) or unprepared, as in v 6.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:12 That is, in the sense of stand in close relationship with, recognize and respect.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:13 Or, immeasurably, surpassingly.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:14 Or, consoling.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:14 Or, clinging-to, devoted to, supporting.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:19 Or, stifling, suppressing.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:21 That is, the beautiful, commendable, praiseworthy.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:22 Or, outward appearance; or, kind, species, class, sort.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:23 Or, make you wholly holy.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:23 Or, through and through, in every part, altogether.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:23 Or, taking this with the verb, complete, sound, intact: ‘May your spirit and soul and body be preserved complete’ (it would have Paul’s emphasis).
- 1 Thessalonians 5:23 Or, kept, guarded, protected.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:27 That is, make you swear, put you under oath.