1 Thessalonians 2
New American Standard Bible
2 For you yourselves know, brethren, that our [a](A)coming to you (B)was not in vain, 2 but after we had already suffered and been (C)mistreated in (D)Philippi, as you know, we had the boldness in our God (E)to speak to you the (F)gospel of God amid much [b](G)opposition. 3 For our (H)exhortation does not come from (I)error or (J)impurity or [c]by way of (K)deceit; 4 (L)but just as we have been approved by God to be (M)entrusted with the gospel, so we speak, (N)not as pleasing men, but God who [d](O)examines our hearts. 5 For we never came [e]with flattering speech, as you know, nor with (P)a pretext for greed—(Q)God is witness— 6 nor did we (R)seek glory from men, either from you or from others, even though as (S)apostles of Christ [f]we might have [g]asserted our authority. 7 But we [h]proved to be [i](T)gentle [j]among you, (U)as a nursing mother [k]tenderly cares for her own children. 8 Having so fond an affection for you, we were well-pleased to (V)impart to you not only the (W)gospel of God but also our own [l]lives, because you had become [m]very dear to us.
9 For you recall, brethren, our (X)labor and hardship, how (Y)working night and day so as not to be a (Z)burden to any of you, we proclaimed to you the (AA)gospel of God. 10 You are witnesses, and so is (AB)God, (AC)how devoutly and uprightly and blamelessly we [n]behaved toward you [o]believers; 11 just as you know how we were (AD)exhorting and encouraging and [p](AE)imploring each one of you as (AF)a father would his own children, 12 so that you would (AG)walk in a manner worthy of the God who (AH)calls you into His own kingdom and (AI)glory.
13 For this reason we also constantly (AJ)thank God that when you received the (AK)word of God which you heard from us, you accepted it (AL)not as the word of men, but for what it really is, the word of God, (AM)which also performs its work in you who believe. 14 For you, brethren, became (AN)imitators of (AO)the churches of God in Christ Jesus that are (AP)in Judea, for (AQ)you also endured the same sufferings at the hands of your own countrymen, (AR)even as they did from the Jews, 15 (AS)who both killed the Lord Jesus and (AT)the prophets, and [q]drove us out. [r]They are not pleasing to God, [s]but hostile to all men, 16 (AU)hindering us from speaking to the Gentiles (AV)so that they may be saved; with the result that they always (AW)fill up the measure of their sins. But (AX)wrath has come upon them [t]to the utmost.
17 But we, brethren, having been taken away from you for a [u]short while—(AY)in [v]person, not in [w]spirit—were all the more eager with great desire (AZ)to see your face. 18 [x]For (BA)we wanted to come to you—I, Paul, [y](BB)more than once—and yet (BC)Satan (BD)hindered us. 19 For who is our hope or (BE)joy or crown of exultation? Is it not even you, in the presence of our Lord Jesus at His [z](BF)coming? 20 For you are (BG)our glory and joy.
- 1 Thessalonians 2:1 Lit entrance
- 1 Thessalonians 2:2 Or struggle, conflict
- 1 Thessalonians 2:3 Lit in deceit
- 1 Thessalonians 2:4 Or approves
- 1 Thessalonians 2:5 Lit in a word of flattery
- 1 Thessalonians 2:6 Lit being able to
- 1 Thessalonians 2:6 Or be burdensome
- 1 Thessalonians 2:7 Or became gentle
- 1 Thessalonians 2:7 Three early mss read babes
- 1 Thessalonians 2:7 Lit in the midst of you
- 1 Thessalonians 2:7 Or cherishes
- 1 Thessalonians 2:8 Or souls
- 1 Thessalonians 2:8 Lit beloved
- 1 Thessalonians 2:10 Lit became
- 1 Thessalonians 2:10 Or who believe
- 1 Thessalonians 2:11 Or testifying to
- 1 Thessalonians 2:15 Or persecuted us
- 1 Thessalonians 2:15 Lit and
- 1 Thessalonians 2:15 Lit and
- 1 Thessalonians 2:16 Or forever or altogether; lit to the end
- 1 Thessalonians 2:17 Lit occasion of an hour
- 1 Thessalonians 2:17 Lit face
- 1 Thessalonians 2:17 Lit heart
- 1 Thessalonians 2:18 Or Because
- 1 Thessalonians 2:18 Lit both once and twice
- 1 Thessalonians 2:19 Or presence