1 Samuel 21
1599 Geneva Bible
21 1 David fleeth to Nob to Ahimelech the Priest. 6 He getteth of him the showbread to satisfy his hunger. 7 Doeg Saul’s servant was present. 10 David fleeth to King Achish, 13 and there feigneth himself mad.
1 Then came David to [a]Nob, to Ahimelech the Priest, and Ahimelech was astonied at the meeting of David, and said unto him, Why art thou alone, and no man with thee?
2 And David said to Ahimelech the Priest, The [b]King hath commanded me a certain thing, and hath said unto me, Let no man know whereabout I send thee, and what I have commanded thee: and I have appointed my servants to such and such places.
3 Now therefore if thou hast ought under thine hand, give me five cakes of bread, or what cometh to hand.
5 David then answered the Priest, and said unto him, Certainly women have been separate from us these two or three days since I came out: and the [d]vessels of the young men were holy, though the way were profane, and how much more then shall every one [e]be sanctified this day in the vessel?
6 So the Priest gave him hallowed bread: for there was no bread there, save the showbread that was taken from before the Lord, to put hot bread there, the day that it was taken away.
8 And David said unto Ahimelech, Is there not here under thine hand a spear or a sword? for I have neither brought my sword nor mine harness with me, because the king’s business required haste.
9 And the Priest said, The sword of Goliath the Philistine, whom thou slewest in the (B)valley of Elah, behold, it is wrapped in a cloth behind the [h]Ephod: if thou wilt take that to thee, take it: for there is none other save that here: And David said, There is none to that, give it me.
10 And David arose and fled the same day from the [i]presence of Saul, and went to Achish the king of Gath.
12 And David [j]considered these words, and was sore afraid of Achish the king of Gath.
13 And he changed his behavior before them, and feigned himself mad in their hands, and [k]scrabbled on the doors of the gate, and let his spittle fall down upon his beard.
14 Then said Achish unto his servants, Lo, ye see the man is beside himself, wherefore have ye brought him to me?
15 Have I need of mad men, that ye have brought this fellow to play the mad man in my presence? [l]shall he come into mine house?
- 1 Samuel 21:1 Where the ark then was to ask counsel of the Lord.
- 1 Samuel 21:2 These infirmities that we see in the Saints of God, teach us that none hath his justice in himself, but receiveth it of God’s mercy.
- 1 Samuel 21:4 If they have not accompanied with their wives.
- 1 Samuel 21:5 That is, their bodies.
- 1 Samuel 21:5 Shall be more careful to keep his vessel holy, when he shall have eaten of this holy food?
- 1 Samuel 21:7 Tarrying to worship before the Ark.
- 1 Samuel 21:7 Or, master of them that kept Saul’s castle.
- 1 Samuel 21:9 Behind that place, where the high Priest’s garment lay.
- 1 Samuel 21:10 That is, out of Saul’s dominion.
- 1 Samuel 21:12 Hebrew, put these words in his heart.
- 1 Samuel 21:13 By making marks and toys.
- 1 Samuel 21:15 Is he meet to be in a king’s house?