1 Peter 3
Disciples’ Literal New Testament
Be Subject To Your Husbands, Adorning Yourself With Things Precious To God
3 Likewise wives, being subject to your own husbands, in order that even if any are disobeying the word, they may be gained without a word by the conduct of their wives, 2 having observed your pure conduct with fear[a]— 3 of whom let what is observed [b] be not the outside adornment consisting of a braiding of hair and a wearing of gold things or putting-on of garments, 4 but the hidden person of the heart in[c] the imperishable adorning consisting of the gentle and quiet spirit, which is very-precious in the sight of God. 5 For in this manner formerly also the holy wives putting-hope in God were adorning themselves, being subject to their own husbands, 6 as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord[d]— of whom[e] you became children while[f] doing-good and not fearing any terror[g].
Honor Your Wives As Fellow Heirs of The Gift of Life
7 Husbands likewise, living-with them[h] according-to[i] knowledge[j], showing honor to the feminine[k] one as to[l] the weaker vessel[m], as indeed to your fellow-heirs of the grace[n] of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered.
Everyone Be Loving, Humbleminded, And Doing Good
8 And finally, everyone— being likeminded[o], sympathetic, brother-loving, tender-hearted[p], humbleminded, 9 not giving-back evil for evil or reviling[q] for reviling, but on the contrary, blessing them. Because you were called to this, in order that you might inherit a blessing. 10 For “the one desiring[r] to love life and see good days— let him stop his tongue from evil and his lips that they not speak deceit; 11 and let him turn-away from evil and do good. Let him seek peace and pursue it. 12 Because the eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous, and His ears are open to their prayer. But the face of the Lord is against ones doing evil things” [Ps 34:12-16].
You Are Blessed If You Suffer For Righteousness
Make Christ Lord In Your Heart As You Suffer For Doing Good
But do not fear their fear[w], nor be disturbed, 15 but set Christ apart as Lord in your hearts, being ready always for a defense to everyone asking you a reason for the hope in you, 16 but with gentleness and fear[x], having a good conscience in order that in what you are spoken-against[y], the ones maligning your good conduct in Christ may be put-to-shame. 17 For it is better to be suffering while doing-good, if the will of God should [so] will it, than while doing-evil.
Because Christ Himself Suffered To Bring Us To God, And Is Now Glorified By God
18 Because Christ also suffered once-for-all for sins— a righteous One for unrighteous ones— in order that He might bring you to God, having been put-to-death in the flesh but made-alive[z] by the Spirit[aa],
19 ... by Whom[ab] also[ac] having gone, He proclaimed[ad] to the spirits[ae] in prison— 20 ones having disobeyed formerly when the patience of God was waiting in the days of Noah while an ark was being prepared,
... in which a few (that is, eight souls) were brought-safely through the water,
21 ... which[af] also as to you a corresponding-thing[ag] now saves— baptism (not a putting-off [ah] of dirt from the flesh, but an appeal[ai] to God for[aj] a good conscience) through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,
22 ... Who is at the right hand of God, having gone into heaven, angels and authorities and powers having been subjected to Him.
- 1 Peter 3:2 Or, with respect for them. Or, with reverence for God.
- 1 Peter 3:3 what is observed. Or, their adornment. Lit, it.
- 1 Peter 3:4 That is, dressed in.
- 1 Peter 3:6 Or, sir. See Gen 18:12.
- 1 Peter 3:6 That is, Sarah.
- 1 Peter 3:6 That is, by, as long as you are, since you are, as ones.
- 1 Peter 3:6 Or, intimidation, fright.
- 1 Peter 3:7 living with them... fellow-heirs. Or, living with the feminine one according-to knowledge, as with the weaker vessel, showing honor as indeed to fellow heirs.
- 1 Peter 3:7 Or, in harmony with, based on.
- 1 Peter 3:7 That is, Christian knowledge of her status before God. Or, understanding; that is, in an understanding way, with consideration.
- 1 Peter 3:7 Or, womanly one, female.
- 1 Peter 3:7 That is, as appropriate to.
- 1 Peter 3:7 This describes her as God’s creation, rather than the husband’s partner.
- 1 Peter 3:7 That is, the grace-gift of spiritual life, which they possess equally.
- 1 Peter 3:8 Or, harmonious.
- 1 Peter 3:8 Or, good-hearted.
- 1 Peter 3:9 Or, insult, abuse.
- 1 Peter 3:10 Or, wanting, intending.
- 1 Peter 3:13 Or, harm you, mistreat you.
- 1 Peter 3:13 Or, zealous.
- 1 Peter 3:14 even though you might be suffering... you are blessed. Or, if you even should suffer... you would be blessed.
- 1 Peter 3:14 Or, fortunate, from God’s point of view.
- 1 Peter 3:14 That is, their intimidation; or, what they fear.
- 1 Peter 3:16 That is respect; or, fear of God.
- 1 Peter 3:16 Or, slandered.
- 1 Peter 3:18 Or, given life.
- 1 Peter 3:18 Or, in the Spirit; or, in spirit, in His spirit; or, in the realm of the spirit.
- 1 Peter 3:19 That is, the Spirit. Or, in which. That is, in His spirit; or, in the state of being dead in the flesh but alive in spirit.
- 1 Peter 3:19 Or even; that is, by Whom having gone, He even proclaimed.
- 1 Peter 3:19 Or, made a proclamation.
- 1 Peter 3:19 That is, people; or, angels.
- 1 Peter 3:21 That is, which event (Noah being brought safely through the water); or, which water.
- 1 Peter 3:21 Or, a fulfillment; or, a reflection, echo, copy.
- 1 Peter 3:21 Or, removal.
- 1 Peter 3:21 Or, request. Or, pledge, answer; that is, the pledge to keep a good conscience toward God, or, the pledge to God from a good conscience.
- 1 Peter 3:21 Or, from.