1 Kings 8:47-49
New English Translation
47 When your people[a] come to their senses[b] in the land where they are held prisoner, they will repent and beg for your mercy in the land of their imprisonment, admitting, ‘We have sinned and gone astray;[c] we have done evil.’ 48 When they return to you with all their heart and being[d] in the land[e] where they are held prisoner, and direct their prayers to you toward the land you gave to their ancestors, your chosen city, and the temple I built for your honor,[f] 49 then listen from your heavenly dwelling place to their prayers for help[g] and vindicate them.[h]Read full chapter
- 1 Kings 8:47 tn Heb “they”; the referent (your people) has been specified in the translation for clarity.
- 1 Kings 8:47 tn Or “stop and reflect”; Heb “bring back to their heart.”
- 1 Kings 8:47 tn Or “done wrong.”
- 1 Kings 8:48 tn Or “soul.”
- 1 Kings 8:48 tn Heb “in the land of their enemies.”
- 1 Kings 8:48 tn Heb “your name.” See the note on the word “reputation” in v. 41.
- 1 Kings 8:49 tn Heb “their prayer and their request for help.”
- 1 Kings 8:49 tn Heb “and accomplish their justice.”