1 Kings 8:38-40
New English Translation
38 When all your people Israel pray and ask for help,[a] as they acknowledge their pain[b] and spread out their hands toward this temple, 39 then listen from your heavenly dwelling place, forgive their sin,[c] and act favorably toward each one based on your evaluation of his motives.[d] (Indeed you are the only one who can correctly evaluate the motives of all people.)[e] 40 Then they will obey[f] you throughout their lifetimes as[g] they live on the land you gave to our ancestors.Read full chapter
- 1 Kings 8:38 tn Heb “every prayer, every request for help which will be to all the people, to all your people Israel.”
- 1 Kings 8:38 tn Heb “which they know, each the pain of his heart.”
- 1 Kings 8:39 tn The words “their sin” are added for clarification.
- 1 Kings 8:39 tn Heb “and act and give to each one according to all his ways because you know his heart.” In the Hebrew text vv. 37-39a actually contain one lengthy conditional sentence, which the translation has divided up for stylistic reasons.
- 1 Kings 8:39 tn Heb “Indeed you know, you alone, the heart of all the sons of mankind.”
- 1 Kings 8:40 tn Heb “fear.”
- 1 Kings 8:40 tn Heb “all the days [in] which.”