1 Kings 2:32-34
New English Translation
32 May the Lord punish him for the blood he shed;[a] behind my father David’s back he struck down and murdered with the sword two men who were more innocent and morally upright than he[b]—Abner son of Ner, commander of Israel’s army, and Amasa son of Jether, commander of Judah’s army. 33 May Joab and his descendants be perpetually guilty of their shed blood, but may the Lord give perpetual peace to David, his descendants, his family,[c] and his dynasty.”[d] 34 So Benaiah son of Jehoiada went up and executed Joab;[e] he was buried at his home in the wilderness.Read full chapter
- 1 Kings 2:32 tn Heb “The Lord will cause his blood to return upon his head.”
- 1 Kings 2:32 tn Heb “because he struck down two men more innocent and better than he and he killed them with the sword, and my father David did not know.”
- 1 Kings 2:33 tn Heb “house.”
- 1 Kings 2:33 tn Heb “his throne.”
- 1 Kings 2:34 tn Heb “struck him and killed him.” The referent (Joab) has been specified in the translation for clarity.