1 John 2:27-29
The Passion Translation
27 But the wonderful anointing you have received from God[a] is so much greater than their deception and now lives in you. There’s no need for anyone to keep teaching you.[b] His anointing teaches you all that you need to know, for it will lead you into truth, not a counterfeit. So just as the anointing has taught you, remain in him.[c]
28 And now, dear children, remain in him, so that when he is revealed we may have joyful confidence and not be ashamed when we stand before him at his appearing.[d]
29 If you know that he is righteous, you may be sure that everyone who lives in righteousness has been divinely fathered by him.[e]Read full chapter
- 1 John 2:27 Although absent in the Greek, the words “from God” are found in the Aramaic manuscripts. It is clear from the context that the “anointing” is the Holy Spirit poured into us, bringing life, illumination, wisdom, fruit, and power from the indwelling life of Christ.
- 1 John 2:27 Or “There is no need for anyone to keep teaching you his opinions [deceptions].” John is not telling them not to continue to be taught the Word of God, for God has placed teachers in the church to instruct us and equip us and bring us into the fullness of Christ (1 Cor. 12:28; Eph. 4:11; Heb. 13:7, 17). John’s warning concerns those who lead us astray by the false doctrines of men. The bride of Christ will always need Holy Spirit-filled teachers who illuminate us in the ways of Christ.
- 1 John 2:27 The Greek can be translated “remain in it” (the anointing).
- 1 John 2:28 See also Luke 16:3; 2 Cor. 10:8; Phil. 1:20; 1 Peter 4:16.
- 1 John 2:29 Or “born of him.” Living in righteousness, or doing what is right before God, is the proof that we have been fathered by God himself.