1 Corinthians 12:3-5
The Passion Translation
3 Therefore, I want to impart to you an understanding of the following:
No one speaking by the Spirit of God[a] would ever say, “Jesus is the accursed one.”
No one can say, “Jesus is the Lord Yahweh,”[b] unless the Holy Spirit is speaking through him.[c]
4 It is the same Holy Spirit who continues to distribute many different varieties of gifts.[d]
5 The Lord Yahweh is one,[e] and he is the one who apportions to believers different varieties of ministries.[f]
- 1 Corinthians 12:3 Some scholars believe this “speaking by the Spirit of God” refers to speaking in tongues.
- 1 Corinthians 12:3 As translated from the Aramaic. The Greek language has no equivalent for “Lord Yahweh” and uses the word kurios, which means “sir, master, wealthy landowner, boss” and is sometimes used for demons. The Aramaic is preferred. It is by divine revelation that one begins to see that the Lord Yahweh is none other than our Lord Jesus Christ.
- 1 Corinthians 12:3 Or “except by union with the Holy Spirit.”
- 1 Corinthians 12:4 The nine gifts distributed by the Holy Spirit listed here include: the word of wisdom, the word of knowledge, the gift of faith, gifts of healing, miraculous powers, prophecy, discerning of spirits, speaking in different kinds of tongues, and interpretation of tongues. See vv. 7–11.
- 1 Corinthians 12:5 As translated from the Aramaic. See also Deut. 6:4.
- 1 Corinthians 12:5 See Eph. 4:7-16. The ministries Jesus apportions by grace are apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors, and teachers.