1 Chronicles 3
New American Bible (Revised Edition)
1 [a](A)These were the sons of David born to him in Hebron: the firstborn, Amnon, by Ahinoam of Jezreel; the second, Daniel,[b] by Abigail of Carmel; 2 the third, Absalom, son of Maacah, who was the daughter of Talmai, king of Geshur; the fourth, Adonijah, son of Haggith; 3 the fifth, Shephatiah, by Abital; the sixth, Ithream, by his wife Eglah. 4 Six in all were born to him in Hebron, where he reigned seven years and six months. Then he reigned thirty-three years in Jerusalem.(B) 5 (C)In Jerusalem the following were born to him: Shimea,[c] Shobab, Nathan, Solomon—four by Bathsheba, the daughter of Ammiel;(D) 6 Ibhar, Elishua, Eliphelet, 7 Nogah, Nepheg, Japhia, 8 Elishama, Eliada, and Eliphelet—nine. 9 All these were sons of David, in addition to other sons by concubines; and Tamar was their sister.(E)
10 [d](F)The son of Solomon was Rehoboam, whose son was Abijah, whose son was Asa, whose son was Jehoshaphat,(G) 11 whose son was Joram, whose son was Ahaziah, whose son was Joash,(H) 12 whose son was Amaziah, whose son was Azariah, whose son was Jotham,(I) 13 whose son was Ahaz, whose son was Hezekiah, whose son was Manasseh,(J) 14 whose son was Amon, whose son was Josiah.(K) 15 The sons of Josiah were: the firstborn Johanan; the second, Jehoiakim; the third, Zedekiah; the fourth, Shallum.[e](L) 16 The sons of Jehoiakim were: Jeconiah, his son; Zedekiah, his son.(M)
17 The sons of Jeconiah[f] the captive were: Shealtiel,(N) 18 Malchiram, Pedaiah, Shenazzar,[g] Jekamiah, Hoshama, and Nedabiah. 19 The sons of Pedaiah were Zerubbabel[h] and Shimei. The sons of Zerubbabel were Meshullam and Hananiah; Shelomith was their sister. 20 The sons of Meshullam were Hashubah, Ohel, Berechiah, Hasadiah, Jushabhesed—five. 21 The sons of Hananiah were Pelatiah, Jeshaiah, Rephaiah, Arnan, Obadiah, and Shecaniah. 22 The sons of Shecaniah were Shemaiah, Hattush, Igal, Bariah, Neariah, Shaphat—six.(O) 23 The sons of Neariah were Elioenai, Hizkiah, and Azrikam—three. 24 The sons of Elioenai were Hodaviah, Eliashib, Pelaiah, Akkub, Johanan, Delaiah, and Anani—seven.
- 3:1–9 A list of David’s sons.
- 3:1 Daniel: he is called Chileab in 2 Sm 3:3.
- 3:5 Shimea: he bears the name Shammua in 2 Sm 5:14. Ammiel: Bathsheba’s father is called Eliam in 2 Sm 11:3.
- 3:10–16 The kings of Judah from Solomon down to the destruction of Jerusalem by the Babylonians.
- 3:15 Shallum: another name for Jehoahaz, Josiah’s immediate successor; cf. Jer 22:11.
- 3:17–24 The descendants of King Jeconiah down to the time of the Chronicler. If twenty-five years are allowed for each generation, the ten generations between Jeconiah and Anani (the last name on the list) would put the birth of the latter at about 405 B.C.—an important item in establishing the approximate date of the Chronicler’s work in its final form.
- 3:18 Shenazzar: presumably he is the same as Sheshbazzar (Ezr 1:8, 11; 5:14–16), the prince of Judah who was the first Jewish governor of Judah after the exile. Both forms of the name probably go back to the Babylonian name Sin-ab-ussar, meaning “O [god] Sin, protect [our] father!”
- 3:19 Zerubbabel: here called the son of Pedaiah, though elsewhere (Hg 1:12, 14; 2:2, 23; Ezr 3:2, 8; 5:2; Neh 12:1) his father’s name is given as Shealtiel. The latter indication may merely point to the fact that Zerubbabel succeeded Shealtiel as head of the house of David.