Abijah, Abiah, Abia [Ăbī'jah,Ăbī'ah, Ăbī' ă]—jehovah is my father or father of the sea.
- A son of Jeroboam who died in his youth (1 Kings 14:1).
- A priest in David’s time who was head of the eighth course in Temple service (1 Chron. 24:10). See ABIAH.
- Son and successor of Rehoboam whose mother was Maachah, Absalom’s daughter (2 Chron. 11:20, 22; 12:16; 13; 14:1). Called Abijam in 1 Kings 14:31. See ABIA.
- A priest who sealed the covenant made by Nehemiah and the people to serve the Lord. As further references are encountered to this act, it will be borne in mind that it represented the re-dedication of the people to the worship and work of God after their return from the Babylonian captivity.
- Another priest who returned from exile. Perhaps the same person as the preceding Abijah (Neh. 12:1-4, 12-17). Also the name of the mother of Hezekiah, king of Judah (2 Chron. 29:1; she is also called Abi, 2 Kings 18:2).