Mass casualties over the weekend in El Paso, Texas and Dayton, Ohio caused by the personification of evil remind us of sin’s devastating and wicked consequences by gunmen bent on extreme violence.
And we cry out to God.
“Estamos abatidos hasta el polvo;
nuestro cuerpo se arrastra por el suelo.
Levántate, ven a ayudarnos,
y por tu gran amor, ¡rescátanos!” Salmos 44:25-26
“We are brought down to the dust;
our bodies cling to the ground.
Rise up and help us;
rescue us because of your unfailing love.” Psalm 44:25-26
“Y a mí, que estoy pobre y adolorido,
que me proteja, oh Dios, tu salvación.” Salmos 69:29
“But as for me, afflicted and in pain—
may your salvation, God, protect me.” Psalm 69:29
“Tú eres mi escondite y mi escudo;
en tu palabra he puesto mi esperanza.” Salmos 119:114
“You are my refuge and my shield;
I have put my hope in your word.” Psalm 119:114
And we cry out to God.
Violence and disaster in the Americas, in the Middle East, in Africa, in Europe, in Asia, in Oceana: we mourn with those who mourn.
The Bible, while a treasure of hope for times of despair, does not shy away from the cries of the sorrowful. Read the book of Lamentations and the Psalms of Lament:
“Este es mi consuelo en medio del dolor:
que tu promesa me da vida.” Salmos 119:50
“My comfort in my suffering is this:
Your promise preserves my life.” Psalm 119:50
And read Bible Gateway Blog posts that provide perspective about God and suffering:
- A Prayer for Wisdom Amid Violence
- What Does the Bible Say About Violence?
- Why Does God Allow Tragedy and Suffering?
- Mourning With Those Who Mourn: Reflections on the Violence in Orlando
- Prayers for Brussels
- Mourning With Those Who Mourn: Looking for Answers to the Terror in Paris
- How Should We Respond to the Boston Marathon Bombing?
- As Connecticut School Shooting Details Emerge: Pray
- God our Refuge and Strength: Reflections on Tragedy
- Remembering 9/11: Finding Hope in God in the Aftermath of Tragedy
- What Does the Bible Say About Suffering?: An Interview with Brian Han Gregg
- Hope in Suffering: An Interview with Joni Eareckson Tada
- The Beyond Suffering Bible: An Interview with Joni Eareckson Tada
- Good God and Suffering: An Interview with Lucas Miles
- The Problem of God: An Interview with Mark Clark
- Why Belief in the Bible is Rational: An Interview with K. Scott Oliphint
- Sex & Violence in the Bible: An Interview with Joseph W. Smith III
- See God in the Midst of Your Adversity: An Interview with Lacey Buchanan
- No More Faking Fine: An Interview with Esther Fleece
- Fear and Joy to the World – Guest Post by Philip Yancey
- Violence, the Bible, and the Sikh Temple
- What Does the Bible Say About Religious Extremism?
Get biblically wise and spiritually fit with Bible Gateway Plus.