Resources » The IVP New Testament Commentary Series » Luke » The Journey to Jerusalem (9:51-19:44) » Messiah Turns Toward Jerusalem (18:31-19:44)
Messiah Turns Toward Jerusalem (18:31-19:44)
- A Final Passion Prediction (18:31-34)
- Healing by the Son of David (18:35-43)
- Saving the Lost: Zacchaeus (19:1-10)
- Parable of Stewardship and the Minas (19:11-27)
- Jesus Enters Jerusalem and Weeps for the City (19:28-44)
Jesus is on the final leg of his fateful journey. He has prepared his disciples for his departure by instructing them about the walk of faith. Now he reminds them of what he will face in the capital. Then follows a miracle performed by Jesus as the Son of David. Next Jesus commends a tax collector for his newfound generosity. A parable will stress accountability to a master who will return. As he enters the city amid shouts acclaiming him as king, he laments that the city will reject him. Jesus is Messiah, but he is a rejected one.
IVP New Testament Commentaries are made available by the generosity of InterVarsity Press.