- A. Greetings of Paul to Timothy (1:1–2)
- B. Errors of False Teachers Versus the Truth of God's Command (1:3–7)
- C. Purpose of the Law (1:8–11)
- D. Salvation of Paul (1:12–17)
- E. Challenge to Timothy (1:18–20)
In this opening chapter, Paul reminds Timothy of his important role in managing God's household (vv. 3-4), defines the goal of God's command (v. 5), explains the role of the Law (vv. 8-11), testifies to the Lord's grace in saving the worst of sinners (vv. 12-17), and challenges Timothy to fight the good fight (v. 18).