- A. Laying the Foundation for a Theophany: Judgment of the Nations and of Israel (1:3–4:13)
- 1. Body of the text (1:3–4:12)
- a. Judgment of the nations (1:3–2:16)
- b. Judgment of Israel and exhortations to enter into Yahweh's presence (3:1–4:12)
- 2. Response: doxological hymn (4:13)
- B. Death and the End for Israel (5:1–9:6)
The main body of the book is organized around the theme of Yahweh's presence. The judgment speeches in II.A lay the groundwork for an exhortation to prepare to enter Yahweh's presence. II.B, building upon that exhortation, describes Yahweh's presence in the midst of his people as a presence that brings death and destruction rather than salvation and life.