Family Talk Night Light for Couples - Friday, January 17, 2014
To Hear Your Voice
“Pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.“ 1 Thessalonians 5:17–18
Were you ever separated for an extended time from someone you loved deeply? If so, those days apart probably seemed almost unbearable. They may have also led to special moments to be savored—such as that catch‐your‐breath instant when you recognized the handwriting on the letter in your mailbox, realized who sent that last e‐mail message, or heard that familiar voice over the telephone.
Jesus’ love for us is something like that. He longs for fellowship with us. And when we kneel before Him and spend even a few minutes in prayer, we bring joy to Him. The apostle Paul said Jesus wants to hear your voice “continually” (1 Thessalonians 5:17). But, when we let ourselves get caught up in the busyness of life and put off time for prayer, we become less sensitive to His voice and His leading in our lives.
Relationships, whether human or divine, must be cultivated and maintained if they are to be vibrant and meaningful. Let’s make sure we spend time every day with our loving Master.
Just between us…
- How do you feel when we’re apart for several days?
- How can we make sure that no matter how busy we are, we keep talking to each other?
- Do you think we spend enough time with Jesus in prayer?
- How is it possible to pray “continually” amidst the busyness of our lives? Can we learn to be mindful of Him throughout the day?
Dear Lord, we seek a thriving prayer conversation with You. We need it—to know You better, to hear You more clearly, and to love each other more deeply. Teach us to pray. Amen.
- From Night Light For Couples, by Dr. James & Shirley Dobson
Copyright © 2000 by James Dobson, Inc. All rights reserved.
Have Family Talk Night Light for Couples delivered to your inbox!