Family Talk Night Light for Couples - Saturday, December 14, 2013
Anchor For the Soul
“In him our hearts rejoice, for we trust in his holy name.” Psalm 33:21
When a sudden storm strikes a ship at anchor, only the links of chain and the anchor wedged in the rocks keep vessel and crew from being set dangerously adrift. Obviously, the more tumultuous the times, the more important the moorings. In our own stressful moments, our hopes need to be anchored securely—not in wishes or feelings, but in God’s promise. As the author of Hebrews said, “We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure”(Hebrews 6:19).
Isn’t it comforting to know that we have a secure anchor in our marriages? When storms threaten to overtake us, Jesus Christ will not let us drown. We can count on Him to deliver what He has promised. We may not know what the future holds for our family, career, finances, or dreams—but we can rest in the knowledge that our souls are safe in the hands of almighty God.
Just between us…
- Can you think of a time when you thought the storms of life would capsize you? What kept you float?
- Besides God, who or what provides security and stability in your life?
- Do you ever feel adrift spiritually? If so, how can I help?
- Have we placed our hopes and dreams firmly in God’s hands? If not,
can we do that together now?
Lord, You know the desires of our hearts; You know our secret fears, too. But we acknowledge Your unfailing promises and steadfast love. Thank You for being our rock. Tonight we cast our hopes and dreams on You for safekeeping, because we trust You. Amen.
- From Night Light For Couples, by Dr. James & Shirley Dobson
Copyright © 2000 by James Dobson, Inc. All rights reserved.
Have Family Talk Night Light for Couples delivered to your inbox!