Family Talk Night Light for Couples - Wednesday, December 11, 2013
The World’s Most Opposite Couple
“We must obey God rather than men!” Acts 5:29
Authors and counselors Chuck and Barb Snyder describe themselves as the “World’s Most Opposite Couple”—and it may be true. Chuck says the only things they have in common are the same wedding anniversary and the same children. He’s driven; she’s laid‐back. She enjoys soft classical music; he prefers country western at maximum volume. She’s left‐handed; he’s right‐handed. And so it goes. Perhaps in part because of their differences, the Snyders have experienced nearly every imaginable conflict in marriage— over scheduling, communication, home life, finances, discipline of the children, and more. In over forty years of marriage, however, the Snyders have learned to appreciate their differences. They have faced, and weathered, more than their share of storms. The key, Chuck says, is nothing fancy—simply obedience to the Lord. If there’s hope for the World’s Most Opposite Couple, there’s hope for the rest of us, too.
Just between us…
- Were you attracted by my “opposite” traits when we were dating?
- Have we survived despite our differences, or because of them?
- Do we accept the uniqueness of each other as God designed us, or do we struggle to “redesign” each other in our own images?
- Which of my traits that are different from yours do you appreciate most?
Heavenly Lord, thank You for the differences that You weave together to make our marriage strong. Help us to respect, appreciate, and affirm these unique qualities more each day. Amen.
- From Night Light For Couples, by Dr. James & Shirley Dobson
Copyright © 2000 by James Dobson, Inc. All rights reserved.
Have Family Talk Night Light for Couples delivered to your inbox!