All the Men of the Bible - Tuesday, December 31, 2013
Azariah [Ăzarī'ah]—jehovah is keeper or hath helped. The fact that there are almost thirty men bearing the name of Azariah is proof that it was a common name in Hebrew, especially in the family of Eleazar, whose name has a similar meaning, and is almost identical with Ezra, Zerahiah and Seraiah. See also Azariahu and Zacharias.
- The son of Zadok and a descendant of David’s high priest (1 Kings 4:2).
- The son of Nathan, ruler of Solomon’s officers (1 Kings 4:5).
- The son of Amaziah, who was made king of Judah after his father (2 Kings 14:21; 15:1-27; 1 Chron. 3:12).
- A man of Judah, of the family of Zerah and of the house of Ethan (1 Chron. 2:8).
- The son of Jehu and grandson of Obed, a Judahite (1 Chron. 2:38, 39).
- A son of Ahimaz and grandson of Zadok (1 Chron. 6:9).
- A son of Johanan and grandson of No. 6 who served in Solomon’s time (1 Chron. 6:10, 11).
- A son of Hilkiah, and father of Seraiah the high priest in Josiah’s reign (1 Chron. 6:13, 14; 9:11; Ezra 7:1).
- A Levite of the family of Kohath and an ancestor of Samuel the prophet (1 Chron. 6:36).
- A prophet, son of Obed, he encouraged Asa to persevere in his national religious revival (2 Chron. 15:1).
- A son of king Jehoshaphat (2 Chron. 21:2).
- Another son of the above (2 Chron. 21:2).
- Son of Jehoram (2 Chron. 22:6).
- The son of Jehoram and a captain who assisted in the overthrow of Athaliah and the elevation of Joash to the throne of Judah (2 Chron. 23:1).
- The son of Obed who also assisted in the above task (2 Chron. 23:1).
- The high priest who hindered Uzziah from burning incense on the altar (2 Chron. 26:17, 20).
- The son of Johanan and a chief of the tribe of Ephraim (2 Chron. 28:12).
- The father of Joel and a Kohathite (2 Chron. 29:12). He assisted in the purification of the Temple in Hezekiah’s time.
- The son of Jehalelel, a Merarite who also assisted in Hezekiah’s revival (2 Chron. 29:12).
- The chief priest of the house of Zadok in King Hezekiah’s time (2 Chron. 31:10, 13).
- The son of Meraioth, and an ancestor of Ezra (Ezra 7:3).
- The son of Maaseiah, of the family of Ananiah, who repaired a portion of the wall of Jerusalem (Neh. 3:23, 24).
- An Israelite who returned with Zerubbabel (Neh. 7:7). Name also given as Seraiah.
- One of the priests who explained the Law to the people as Ezra read it. Perhaps the same person as No. 22 (Neh. 8:7).
- Another priest who sealed the covenant (Neh. 10:2).
- A prince of Judah who joined in the procession with Nehemiah (Neh. 12:33).
- A son of Hoshaiah and an opponent of Jeremiah whom he charged with false prophecies (Jer. 43:2).
- The Hebrew and original name of Abed-nego, who with Daniel and others was carried away captive to Babylon (Dan. 1:6, 7, 11, 19; 2:17).
Devotional content drawn from All the Men of the Bible by Herbert Lockyer. Used with permission.
Have All the Men of the Bible delivered to your inbox!