40 Day Journey with Dietrich Bonhoeffer - Tuesday, August 20, 2013
The word of cheap grace has ruined more Christians than any commandment about works…
For integrity’s sake someone has to speak up for those among us who confess that cheap grace has made them give up following Christ, and that ceasing to follow Christ has made them lose the knowledge of costly grace. Because we cannot deny that we no longer stand in true discipleship to Christ, while being members of a true-believing church with a pure doctrine of grace, but are no longer members of a church which follows Christ, we therefore have to try to understand grace and discipleship again in correct relationship to each other.
What then are we to say? Should we continue to sin in order that grace may abound? By no means! How can we who died to sin go on living in it? Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? Therefore we have been buried with him by baptism into death, so that, just as Christ was raised from the dead to the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life. Romans 6:1-4
Questions to Ponder
- What do you think Bonhoeffer meant by saying: “The word of cheap grace has ruined more Christians than any commandment about works”?
- Why might cheap grace cause someone to give up following Christ?
- What is the correct relationship between grace and discipleship?
Restore us, O Lord God of hosts;
let your face shine, that we may be saved. Psalm 80:19
- Has the church’s proclamation and practice of cheap grace ever led you to consider not following Christ anymore? If so, write about the experience.
- Do you know anyone who has given up following Christ because of cheap grace? If so, did anyone speak up for her or him?
Pray for the church, and for all Christians, that they may not succumb to the lure of cheap grace.
Prayer for Today
Lord Jesus Christ, I would follow you, no matter what the cost; lead me in the way of true discipleship.
40-Day Journey with Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Copyright © 2007 Augsburg Books, imprint of Augsburg Fortress.
Have 40 Day Journey with Dietrich Bonhoeffer delivered to your inbox!