40 Day Journey with Dietrich Bonhoeffer - Monday, July 1, 2013
Offering intercessory prayer means nothing other than Christians bringing one another into the presence of God, seeing each other under the cross of Jesus as poor human beings and sinners in need of grace. Then, everything about other people that repels me falls away. Then I see them in all their need, hardship, and distress. Their need and their sin become so heavy and oppressive to me that I feel as if they were my own, and I can do nothing else but bid: Lord, you yourself, you alone, deal with them according to your firmness and your goodness.
Therefore confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another, so that you may be healed. The prayer of the righteous is powerful and effective. James 5:15-16
Questions to Ponder
- How does seeing others under the cross of Jesus Christ cause all that “repels me” about them to fall away?
- In what way is everyone equal under the cross?
- How does looking at other people through the lens of God’s mercy change our feelings about them and about ourselves?
May he judge your people with righteousness,
and your poor with justice.
May the mountains yield prosperity for the people,
and the hills, in righteousness.
May he defend the cause of the poor of the people,
give deliverance to the needy,
and crush the oppressor. Psalm 72:2-4
- Make a list of the people whom you would like to bring into the presence of God today.
- Write a line or two describing the nature of your relationship with each of these people.
For each person listed in your journal today, pray: Lord, you yourself, you alone, deal with (name) according to your firmness and your goodness.
Prayer for Today
Forgiving and transforming God, thank you that under the cross of Christ we all stand equally together under your love and mercy.
40-Day Journey with Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Copyright © 2007 Augsburg Books, imprint of Augsburg Fortress.
Have 40 Day Journey with Dietrich Bonhoeffer delivered to your inbox!