When you’re experiencing doubt—doubt that God exists, or that He keeps His promises—where in the Bible can you turn for reassurance?
A while back, we asked Bible Gateway visitors to share the Bible verses they turn to when they struggle with doubt. Here are the top five Bible passages they recommended:
1. Jeremiah 29:11-13: “‘For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the LORD, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.’”
2. Psalm 91: “Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD, ‘He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust….’” (read the rest)
3. Psalm 27:13-14: “I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD.”
4. Isaiah 54:16-17: “‘See, it is I who created the blacksmith who fans the coals into flame and forges a weapon fit for its work. And it is I who have created the destroyer to wreak havoc; no weapon forged against you will prevail, and you will refute every tongue that accuses you. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and this is their vindication from me,’ declares the LORD.”
5. Proverbs 3:5-7: “Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight. Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD and shun evil.”
Almost all of the verses mentioned are ones that acknowledge setbacks and trials, but which quietly reaffirm the authority and trustworthiness of God.
- Four Bible Passages to Read When Life Overwhelms You
- The Top Five Bible Verses of 2011
- Top Five Passages From Our Top Ten Cities
- Five Ways to Motivate Yourself to Read the Bible in 2013
- Five Biblical Prayers That Teach Us How to Talk to God
Posted by Andy