There’s a celebration underway today in the United States, but you may not know about it: it’s the National Day of the Bible! The National Bible Association has hosted this annual event since 1941.
Anyone can participate—it’s not flashy, and you don’t need to RSVP to an invitation to be a part of it. Here’s how the National Bible Association encourages you to celebrate National Day of the Bible (see their website for more information and detail):
- Gather at noon today (the Monday of Thanksgiving week) at a public square, building, or other public location.
- Invite business, religious, and civic leaders from your community to each read a short section of Scripture (about 15 verses) out loud at the gathering.
- Read along with them—and reflect on the life-changing power of God’s Word!
There’s an official event happening at noon Central time in downtown Chicago, Illinois, if you’re able to attend. But if you’re not in Chicago, don’t worry—we’re celebrating it informally in our own way, and you can too.
At Bible Gateway, we love the idea of getting together to read Scripture out loud—whether as an assembly of thousands, or as a few people in the office or at your home or in a parking lot, or even online. We believe the Word of God is living and powerful. When it’s read out loud, side by side with your brothers and sisters in Christ, nothing compares. So join us today in celebrating Scripture! Here’s how:
- Kick off this Bible-honoring event at noon today—in whatever time zone you’re in.
- If you can’t gather physically in a public place, get side-by-side with all of us online at Bible Gateway. We’ll be reading aloud in our office at noon today, and even if we can’t see or hear you, we’ll be united in Christ!
- Invite friends, neighbors, co-workers, family members… invite anyone and everyone nearby!
- Choose a short passage (like Psalm 119:97-104, or 1 Corinthians 13) and read it out loud, without commentary. You can use a side-by-side Bible like this one, or go online with BibleGateway.com or the free Bible Gateway mobile app.
That’s it! Simple, but profoundly powerful. We love celebrating the Bible, and we hope you’ll join us today in doing so!
- The Gospel Coalition 2011 National Conference: carrying out the Great Commission in changing times
- Pentecost: God’s grace knows no national boundaries
- National Day of Prayer Reminder and Prayers in the Bible
- Celebrate Classic Christmas Hymns This December
- Celebrate Reformation Day!
Posted by Andy